2010 eMINTS Investing in Innovation Grant
The eMINTS Investing in Innovation (i3) Grant
In 2010 our validation proposal was one of 49 selected for a $12 million federal Investing in Innovation (i3) grant. The grant sought to examine the efficacy of eMINTS professional development program for students in small rural schools.
To create Digital Age classrooms where students are engaged in solving real-world authentic problems; collaborating with their peers, teachers, and experts, and becoming savvy consumers of information as well as producers of new knowledge.
The project served about 10,500 students and 240 teachers in 60 small, rural, Missouri middle schools over its five-year period. Download map of i3 grant project districts (PDF 428 KB)
- Intensive professional development for teachers, administrators, and technology coordinators
- Job-embedded coaching and mentoring for teachers
- 1:1 technology for teachers and students
American Institutes for Research (AIR) conducted a randomized control trial to study the effectiveness of the eMINTS Comprehensive Program in rural middle schools. The study compared two test groups (eMINTS, eMINTS + Intel) against a control group.
Community of Learners
Classroom observations indicated significant and positive effects versus control in eMINTS and eMINTS+ classrooms.
eMINTS and eMINTS+Intel schools had significantly higher scores than control schools in both teacher survey results and classroom observation data.
eMINTS and eMINTS+Intel schools had significantly higher scores than control schools in both teacher survey and classroom observation results.
High-quality Lesson Design
Teacher survey data showed eMINTS and eMINTS+Intel schools had significantly higher scores in this area versus control schools three years after beginning treatment.
eMINTS and eMINTS+Intel treatment schools both significantly outscored control schools in mathematics. eMINTS+ had a higher estimated impact than eMINTS did, but the difference was not significant.
- MO Department of Higher Education
- New Franklin (MO) R-I School District
- Intel Teach
- Brain POP
- Smart Technologies
- University of Missouri System
- School Improvement Network
i3 Fund Programming Details
- Investing in Innovation Fund (i3)website
- i3 at a glance(DOC)
- Press releaseannouncing highest-rated applicants
- Detailed list of highest-rated i3 applicants(PDF 445 KB)
- Overview of the i3 review process(DOC)
- FAQ(PDF 461 KB)