oDREAMS, online Design-based Reform-oriented Educational Approach for Motivating Students, is based on the highly successful Scalable Game Design project at the University of Colorado-Boulder (UCB). The goal of the NSF funded project is to prepare educators to teach students computational thinking skills as they learn to design, program, and debug their own video games using the AgentSheets software developed at UCB.
Together eMINTS and UCB, have designed online and blended professional development that helps teachers:
- Teach computational thinking (CT) concepts and processes to students
- Create 2D games and adapt knowledge to create science simulations
- Incorporate above CT objectives into their existing curriculum and align to the Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Learn about pedagogy and it’s impact on learning
- Develop lesson plans, assist themselves and students, learn about research, expand knowledge and understanding
- Use CT assessment instruments such as the CTPA (the Computational Thinking Pattern Analysis assessment tool) understand student learning
- Support and coach other teachers interested in Scalable Game Design curriculum